Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Generation Gap!

This is a photo of me with my great grandparents, or "long-amma" and "long-afi" as we say in Iceland. It was taken by my mum when we visited them at their home in the Reykjavik suburb of Gravarvogur. My great-grandma's name is Adalbjorg but everybody calls her Didda and my great-grandad's name is Thorsteinn, or Steinni as he is more often called. Despite appearing very interested in a carton of milk he was not a farmer, rather he was a fisherman all his working life operating his own boat out of the town of Faskafjordur in Iceland's east fjords. He is having a party soon to celebrate his 90th birthday. I am sure he will invite me. My grandad Sigurdur (Thorsteinn's son and therefore my mum's dad) is flying in from Sweden especially for the occasion. My dad says we might have to have the fire service on standby because there will be a lot of candles on his cake.

No comments: