Monday, November 3, 2008

In that number...

Dad says I am a Southampton fan. He says there isn't anything I can do about it - that's just the way it has to be, just like his dad did to him. Dad told me this on Saturday when the "Saints," as he calls them, pulled off nothing short of a miracle when they came back from 2-0 down away to Preston, and won 3-2. Apparently, the Saints play in the Championship which is basically the English second division - and they are down the bottom of that! Mum told dad that making me be a Southampton fan could be considered a form of child abuse. She said I would be teased at school and have to always live in hope, pissed well and truly off most Saturday evenings for the rest of my life. But she can't talk because when she began dating dad he invited her to England for a weekend and took her to the Aston Villa v Southampton game (see the photo of them taken 4 years ago at Villa Park), bought her some fish and chips wrapped in newspaper, and a pint of beer (my dad knows how to impress women!) She tries to tell us she isn't particularly a fan of the Saints but if that's true why is she always singing: "When the Saints Go Marching In..." to me? Mind you, dad said it could be worse, I could be a Portsmouth fan!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Það er ekki í lagi með þig Gary. Gera Mathildu að stuðningsmanni Southampton! Það væri nær að gera hana að alvöru Blika ... þá á hún bjarta framtíð fyrir sér.
kv. Ingó