Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"How do you like Iceland?"

We had a couple of tourists from England staying with us this past weekend, James and Laura. They were very clean, tidy, quiet and polite, and didn't get in my way at all. In fact I liked having them around - James just graduated as a doctor and I had a good time just chilling with him up at Jonsi's summer house on Saturday evening. Laura is my dad's friend's daughter. My dad said that he and Laura's dad, who is also called Gary, used to go to New Order concerts together 25 years ago and seeing Laura again made him feel old because she was just a baby when my dad saw her last. This was their first visit to Iceland so I decided I would take the opportunity to do some tourist things with them, although that didn't include whale-watching, horse-riding or to the Blue Lagoon like they did. Dad says I can do that when I am bigger. On Sunday dad drove us to Gullfoss, Geysir and Þingvellir, referred to by tour guides as 
"The Golden Circle."
James and Laura stood a little bit too close to the Geysir when it blew and had to run for cover.
Next stop was Gullfoss, a big, noisy waterfall which you could walk right up to. 

After that we drove to Þingvellir, a National Park and site of the original Icelandic parliament. 
While Mum and Laura and James walked through  the canyon I decided to take a nap - there's only so much history and sightseeing you can take in a day and frankly I didn't see what was in it for me. I'd much rather have gone horse-riding, whale-watching or splashing around at the Blue Lagoon but what can you do when you only have one vote and there is two of them parent people deciding what's good and what's not good for you!
So James and Laura, as we Icelanders always ask: "How do you like Iceland?"


 

No comments: