Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Iceland Celebrates...

"Gleðilega Hátíð!" to my Icelandic family members, indeed to all Icelanders. Today is June 17th - Iceland's National Day which means it is the first time I am able to celebrate with my fellow countrymen, even though I am only half Icelandic. Mum, who is 100 per cent Icelandic and dad, who is not even one per cent Icelandic, took me into Reykjavik city centre where it was packed with people, most of whom were carrying flags, balloons, little dogs or kids like me. For the occasion I wore my new Icelandic sweater that amma Sæunn knitted for me. 
My mum told me to mention that she put the zip on. How difficult can that be? The Icelandic sweater is called a "lopapeysa" and it is made of wool. It keeps you very warm. In winter and summer!   

No comments: